Hat cords and straps banned from SA schools after shocking strangulations

A string a shocking schoolyard strangulations in South Australian has resulted in a ban of long cords and straps on hats and hoodies.

Little Marley Oster could have died if her fellow student hadn’t come to the rescue

The issue, first reported by The Advertiser, came to light following after Marley Oster, 6 was saved by an older student when her long hat cord became caught in a groove in a piece of school play equipment.

20/02/17 - Southern suburbs primary school student Marley Oster, 6, as lucky to survive last week when the cord on her school hat got caught in a school spiral slide and strangled her. She was saved by another student, Madison Fleming, 8.  Pictured is the slide involved. Picture: Tom Huntley

The spiral slide at Marley’s school, where her hat cord became caught in a groove and almost strangled her to death. Image: News Corp Australia

Madison Fleming, 8, rescued Marley from halfway down the spiral slide in the grounds of the school as the safety clasp on Marley’s hat failed to release.

madison fleming saved marley oster.

Madison Fleming saved Marley Oster’s life. Image: News Corp Australia.

Doctors have told Gail Oster, Marley’s mum, that the incident would have been fatal if Madison had not carefully made her way down the slide to get the hat cord off Marley’s neck.

“It resulted in a really bad neck injury. The doctor told me another 45 seconds and her windpipe would have collapsed,” said Mrs Oster, of McLaren Flat told The Advertiser.

Southern suburbs primary school student Marley Oster, 6, was lucky to survive last week when the cord on her school hat got caught in a school spiral slide and strangled her.

Marley’s neck, shortly after the incident. Image: supplied.

Southern suburbs primary school student Marley Oster, 6, was lucky to survive last week when the cord on her school hat got caught in a school spiral slide and strangled her.

Marley is lucky to be alive. Image: supplied.

Marley’s mum called for a ban on the hats

The Advertiser also reported; “a second case has emerged of a student, 8, at East Adelaide School in St Peters, who was “choked” by her hat cord and left hanging from a rope bridge until she was rescued by a teacher last week.”

Gail Oster, who bought her daughter’s hat from the local school uniform shop, called for that hats to be banned.

“It’s a freak accident but it could have been a death.

“They have a potential death hazard they are selling to parents. The schools have to ban those hats.”

Supplied Images of the Blue School Hat and Playground Slide Southern suburbs primary school student Marley Oster, 6, was lucky to survive last week when the cord on her school hat got caught in a school spiral slide and strangled her. She was saved by another student, Madison Fleming, 8, who came down the slide and released the safety catch on the hat. Parents calling for ban on hat cords/straps.

The safety clasp on Marley’s hat failed to release, leaving her in a potentially fatal situation. Image: supplied.

Public schools now have to remove cords from hats and hoodies

Just a day later, the South Australian education department took action and demanded all public schools remove cords from students’ hats and hoodies.

“Schools have been ordered to:

“INSPECT students’ hats and remove any cords.

“CHECK hat stocks in their uniform shops and immediately remove any cords, including draw strings on hooded tops.

“ENSURE play equipment, particularly slides and fireman’s poles, are free from “pinch points, sharp edges or protrusions” that may catch on cords, drawstrings and toggles.

“ENSURE children use play equipment appropriate for their age and are properly supervised.”

Alys Gagnon |

The South Australian government has taken the extraordinary step after a string of incidents involving long hat cords and playground strangulations at Adelaide schools.

Source

http://kidspot.com.au/parenting/real-life/in-the-news/hat-cords-and-straps-banned-from-sa-schools-after-shocking-strangulations